Manual kiln firing advice - seemingly not reaching temp

Sylla

Greetings!

I have an older manual kiln (Skutt 818) with a kiln sitter. I have been testing a bisque to cone 05 and while the small cone in the sitter bends and turns the kiln off, the two free-standing cones I have inside only bend slightly.

My schedule so far has been:

-2 hours at low

-2 hours at medium

-Then turn to high and manually check every 20 minutes.

The kiln sitter had shut down the kiln at about 1 hr and 15 minutes. I have two shelves inside and two small extremely bone dry pieces as filler/testers.

I am going to run a glaze test, but would love some guidance regarding why it seems like I'm not hitting temp according to the witness cones, but the sitter cone bends and turns off the kiln.

Thanks for any advice!

Sylla

Thanks! So I adjusted the sitter.  I then re-fired using the same above schedule. After having the kiln in HIGH for one hour, the sitter tripped. The cone in the sitter seems to have bent all the way, but my witness cone barely bent.

When I adjusted the sitter, I did so that the claw is about a millimeter over the tongue. Should I make it more? I did use a firing gauge to hold the rod.

Thanks in advance!

Sylla

IMG_9761.jpg

IMG_9762.jpg

Edited by Sylla
correct terminology

Yes, ideally the blank ring should be in the middle, assuming it's made with the box connectors.

The cone is over-bent, greater than 90 degrees. You should adjust the tab on the weight, moving it just slightly lower so it shuts of earlier. As for reaching temp, I would go 1 cone higher with the Sitter cone, which should get to the shelf cone.