Making Lamps DB1111

I need some general advice about making a custom lamp.  I have made for myself a very cool lamp, it has a resin mold base, I used a Standard portable e26 socket with cord and switch and a frosted lamp shade (stained with stained glass spray paint).  All products were independently sourced by me via, stores and amazon.  Would it be ok to sell these at my local store in town.  Are do I open myself up to troubles???

Any feedback or advise would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

I've made and sold several dozen lamps over the years. I use UL listed components, which some folks say is adequate from a liability standpoint, and others say is not sufficient- that the whole lamp has to be listed. I've got a couple of lamps here in my house (store bought) that are UL labeled on the socket itself, but not on the lamp base, which makes me think that the lamp itself is not listed, just the parts. As a small maker, you are unlikely to be able to afford to get your product listed, so I say either don't make lamps, or make them using listed components, and make sure you're building them to listing specs (UL153) so that there aren't any issues. One of the main things to do is to make sure that the cord cannot pull out of the lamp, either a clamp or you can just tie a knot in the cord inside the lamp. I really like the sockets and parts sold by Grand Brass Lamp Parts. High quality, well made, good prices, UL listed.

FYI, UL (Underwriter's Laboratories) is just one of several Nationally Recognized Testing Labs. All test to the same standards and carry the same value. From a legal standpoint, none are preferred over the others. UL just happens to be the best known.

I'm changing the name of the post to better reflect the topic.

• neilestrick changed the title to Making Lamps DB1111