How to turn on and control the temperature on my 1990 Paragon Q-11-P

D Spinks

I recently acquired a 1990 Paragon Q-11-P kiln. I have never owned a kiln before.  The kiln has a power cord but does not have any kind of control dial on it to either turn it on or to regulate the temperature.  I would appreciate it greatly if anyone can give me basic info on how I can safely use the kiln. I have accessed the Paragon instruction manual for the F & Q series from 1990, but there is no information on how to run the kiln without a control dial.  I have images of the kiln from all sides for reference, but this platform will not let me upload directly from my computer.

5 hours ago, D Spinks said:

I have images of the kiln from all sides for reference, but this platform will not let me upload directly from my computer.

To upload some pictures, reduce the file sizes. That should provide some visual insight for folks. Lots of ways to reduce, here are some possibilities https://www.wikihow.com/Compress-Photos#On-Windows

Edited by Bill Kielb

If it doesn't have a switch, then it should just turn on when you plug it in. The problem is that you can't fire clay that way - it needs to heat up slowly. That kiln is probably made for glass annealing, where you get the kiln hot, then put the finished glass work in and let it cool. You would have to monitor the temp with a pyrometer. So for you to use the kiln for clay you would really need to install a switch on it, or plug it into an external digital controller.

5 hours ago, D Spinks said:

Thanks Neilestrick.  I will be using the kiln for enameling, so would want it to hold at a particular  temperature. Which device of the two you mentioned would be the easiest for me to install and use?

For holding temp you would need an external digital control box. Orton makes one that would be the most affordable for a kiln that size. See HERE.

4 hours ago, PeterH said:

@neilestrick As this is for enamelling would there be any merit in a minimalist solution based on a pyrometer and an infinite switch?

I vaguely remember pictures of old glass/enamel/jewellery kilns which appeared to have this sort of arrangement.

You can definitely do a hold manually, but if you need the hold temp to be accurate then it's not going to be as simple as just turning it down to a lower setting. You'd have to watch the pyrometer and make adjustments to the dial as needed. Doable for sure, but a hassle and it'll take up your time. Plus from a setup standpoint, just plugging into a wall mount system is much less intimidating than adding a switch for most people.

@PeterH and @Neilestrick  Thanks for the helpful information. Now I feel more comfortable about how to approach this. I currently torch fire enamels, so there is inevitably some fluctuation in temp.  That being said,  I probably do not need the kiln to hold at a specific temperature.  Based on the info you both provided, I was able research and  identify resources that indicated the pyrometer and infinite switch setup should work for what I plan to do.

9 hours ago, D Spinks said:

Now I feel more comfortable about how to approach this. I currently torch fire enamels, so there is inevitably some fluctuation in temp

Sounds like a temperature controller that is capable of holding in the 1500f to 1600f degree range while you vary the exposure time. A temperature controller, adequate gauge thermocouple probably easier to use than an infinite switch. So if you are handy, lots of economical temperature controllers out there some include a relay and generally if digital will be your pyrometer. Don’t forget eye protection.

7 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Sounds like a temperature controller that is capable of holding in the 1500f to 1600f degree range while you vary the exposure time. A temperature controller, adequate gauge thermocouple probably easier to use than an infinite switch. So if you are handy, lots of economical temperature controllers out there some include a relay and generally if digital will be your pyrometer. Don’t forget eye protection.

Thanks, Bill.