Porcelain Casting Slip Recipe

TJR

Hey, gang;

I am going to jump off the deep end and cast some porcelain in molds that I have made myself. I am a thrower, so this will be new for me, although I have seen it done. Any help would be appreciated.

And Happy New Year

TJR

CONE 10, SORRY!

Hey, gang;

I am going to jump off the deep end and cast some porcelain in molds that I have made myself. I am a thrower, so this will be new for me, although I have seen it done. Any help would be appreciated.

And Happy New Year

TJR

Hey TJR, I'm a thrower, too, so you'll probably get better info from people with more experience casting porcelain but I started casting the porcelains I throw with which is cone 6 Frost and cone 10 Southern Ice with a little paper in them. All I did was turn them into slip and add a little Darvon 7 to it. The white part with the colored circles in my (oh ######## I forgot what you call the little picture id thingy to the upper left of this post) is cast and it is paper thin and very translucent. So, if you throw porcelain you may want to consider using the same for casting.

Happy New Year!

Jim

Hey, gang;

And Happy New Year

TJR

Hey TJR, I'm a thrower, too, so you'll probably get better info from people with more experience casting porcelain but I started casting the porcelains I throw with which is cone 6 Frost and cone 10 Southern Ice with a little paper in them. All I did was turn them into slip and add a little Darvon 7 to it. The white part with the colored circles in my (oh ######## I forgot what you call the little picture id thingy to the upper left of this post) is cast and it is paper thin and very translucent. So, if you throw porcelain you may want to consider using the same for casting.

Happy New Year!

Jim

Hey, offcentre;

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! I forgot to say Cone 10. I use a Plainsman clay called P580. I also use a stoneware from Laguna called Danish White. I am assuming just a couple of drops of Darvan7?

TJR.

These slip is from my collage days but I used to use it.

Porc slip-

EPK-2.5#

Feldspar 2.5#

OM4 2.5#

Silica 2.5#

sodium sil 11/3 grams

add small amount of Darvon #7

water 4#s

I think this makes 1 gallon

Mark

THANKS, MATE.

Tom.