Lincoln 60 - heads up / issues?

Min

I'm in the process of testing new claybodies and one of the candidates contains Lincoln 60. Absorption figure for the clay in question is supposed to be around 0.5.  I have run 8 absorption tests with this clay and have figures ranging from 2.3 - 2.66%. Just got off the phone with the company that makes this clay and the person I spoke with thinks the issue is stemming from the Lincoln 60. She said they are seeing absorption issues with other bodies that use Lincoln 60 which is now coming from the far end of the mine.  Manufacture date of Feb 2023 for the clay in question.

Anybody else finding absorption issues with bodies employing Lincoln 60?

What cone is that?

Boo!!!  My local concrete/masonry supply used to carry Lincoln 60. It was one the cheap place to buy a legit ceramic supply in bulk. Sadly two years ago they switched to some awful clay from Ohio that is nothing like good old Lincoln 60. For them it’s “the same thing,” for me, not so. Poorly milled, stinks of sulfur, no idea what’s in that stuff. Label tells nothing.

So for over twenty years I could get Lincoln here like it was an ordinary hardware store item, then suddenly it’s done. Another material that may be going away. Dang. Looking forward to hearing any news on this. 

There's a clay company in Lincoln (California) ...aha!

lincoln60.jpg.62b15ac5edd0112626d0f9c99eb879f5.jpg 

One goes right by the piles of clay, large building, stacks of clay pipe, etc. when passing through town.

I'm not seeing where Gladding, McBean are in transition/difficulty, also not finding any reports about the clay changing.
Another local (Northern CA) clay producer has a history of noting changes as the mine(s) deepen(s); I buy clay from them, IMCO.

There are somewhat recent shows about Lincoln clay, PBS "Rob on the Road" (season 7, episode 2; Rob Stewart), "California's Gold with Huell Howser" (episode title "Terra Cotta"), John "Bartell's Backroads" (ABC 10 KXTV)...

Edited by Hulk
rereading, concern is change of characteristics...