Slab Roller Issue

Alyssa

Hi all! Our studio has had a Shimpo SR-3050 slab roller for a few years now, and generally no issues. However, this week we've noticed the black hand cranks that adjust the height of the rollers seem to be a little sticky (and squeaky), and today they gradually stopped turning altogether. I attempted to grease (machinery lubricant, not WD-40) the chains and the threaded rods that are attached to the cranks, but still very little movement happening.  I've also tried tightening and loosening the chain in case it was jammed or caught--no luck. Has anyone had a similar issue? First time posting so any advice is welcome!

13 hours ago, Min said:

Hi Alyssa and welcome to the forum!

Have you tried adjusting the tension on the cranks? pdf here if you need it on doing this. 

Hi and thanks! Yep, we've tried loosening and tightening the tension but seems like the same locking problem on either setting. 

18 hours ago, Alyssa said:

(machinery lubricant, not WD-40) 

Step one, it needs to be an oil, like a light motor oil to start with. Diagram below, I would oil all the points indicated with red arrows, including every link of the chain. You are correct in not using WD40 however it would help the oil penetrate if you oil first then use WD40 to help the oil penetrate.

Diagram below, oil all the areas indicated by red arrows. Blue arrow points to a slot that needs to be cleaned of any clay debris. Only other thing I would look at is where the thread goes into the block, make sure that is clear/clean.

Step two, if necessary would be to unhook the chain from the sprockets and see which side binds, it might just be the chain itself.

I have the same slabroller, the turning wheel started to bind and needed to be oiled which fixed it. The bearing surfaces seem to  seize/gall more than expected.

1578009741_ScreenShot2023-02-24at8_02_39AM.png.fd984c919e770805b3de54286709f012.png

24 minutes ago, Min said:

Diagram below, oil all the areas indicated by red arrows.

That's amazing, thank you for the help! Was hoping we wouldn't have to take the entire thing apart, and your diagram will hopefully solve that problem:) Is there a particular brand of oil you'd recommend?

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I have the slab roller but a different issue. The bottom silver barrel isn’t spinning anymore when I turn the wheel. Any suggestions?

also, if I already used wd-40, should I clean it off with something and use motor oil instead? What should I clean it off with? Thanks so much. 

Hi @Triciachapman and welcome to the forum.

Just to confirm, it's the same make of slabroller and just the bottom roller isn't turning.

If you slowly hand spin the bottom roller you will see  2 small set screws near both ends of the roller. Are they still there or is one or both missing?