Moving to Ohio from Greenbelt Md. Looking for ceramic community like I have in Greenbelt

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are actively planning to move to either the Columbus area or Athens, Ohio, from Greenbelt Md. Not leaving for a couple of years, but buying a house out in Ohio very, very soon if all goes as planned.

I am part of a very vibrant ceramics community here in Greenbelt, and hate the idea of leaving it, but we have family reasons to move to Columbus area or Athens. There is a recreation center here in Greenbelt with a great ceramics set-up: very inexpensive quarterly "open studio" time with access to a space, supplies, and low and mid-range firings (three kilns) three times a week!  Lots of classes, including my area of interest, ceramic art tiles, with a healthy, friendly exchange of techniques, ideas, etc. within the ceramics community and not just w/in classes. The Greenbelt Pottery Group  puts on an annual holiday show/mart, sends out links to local and regional opportunities for showing one's work, exchanges info on selling/buying equipment/supplies, etc. Basically, I am looking for a similar environment in Ohio, which will inform our decision on where to live.

My husband and I will set up a studio for me, including, if necessary, a kiln (we have his old kiln in storage), though I may prefer to share kiln space and not need to fire at home (I am spoiled by the above-described firing schedule). I figure it is safe to assume there are lots of opportunities for shop-talk and advanced classes/workshops in Athens, but would love confirmation about opportunities if not enrolled in the university degree program. I also would love to know what is going on in the Columbus area. I found one arts center with some classes but would like to know what else is out there in terms of advanced classes/workshops, kiln use rental at an arts center/other, and if there is a group of ceramicist that share a space, or kilns, "shop talk," etc.

Appreciate whatever you can share with me!  Let me know if there is a better place to post this.>>>Judith

Hi Judith,

Hope you get some detailed feedback!
Welcome to the Forum.
We've just sold our house and moved, looking forward to setting up a new Studio, getting back to it, and checking out the local pottery happenings...

Edited by Hulk
addition