Cress kiln on CL

C90B3471-638F-4F65-9781-86BDA3FA092F.jpeg.0e41ea4b12b79f2a114415a4e858b45b.jpeg
Hello, 

I found a Cress Kiln for sale on Craigslist for $250. From the few pictures it looks like the outside is fairly rusty and there might be some slight cracks in the bottom of the kiln. The post says it has new coils.  Do you mind sharing your thoughts on the price and condition from the pictures? Thank you!

https://humboldt.craigslist.org/art/d/eureka-kiln-for-sale/7583626341.html

Edited by Ladyofthelake

It looks like someone blew up a bunch of terra cotta in the kiln. If there's that many shards in the bottom of the kiln, there's also going to be a bunch of shards in the element grooves, too, and it's going to be nearly impossible to get them all cleaned out while there are elements in there. If there are any shards left in there, they are going to melt if you fire the kiln up to cone 5/6 and fuse the elements to the bricks. Plus, if the control box is that rusted, I would bet everything inside the box is pretty corroded, too, and depending on what type of controls this particular Cress has, it can be an expensive fix. I'd walk away from this kiln.

I picked up what looks like the same model kiln in similar condition about 15 years ago for $100.  I think $250 is a bit on the high end, but that depends on your location.  You will spend money on kiln repairs, but that is true of any kiln.  The electronics are very simple, so easy to work on.  I'd offer no more than $75-100 for it.

The cracks in the bottom are less concerning than the corrosion on the cover on the electrics. As a Cress owner, if anything inside that box is corroded or shot, leave it: they should be paying someone to haul it away, not charging for it. While replacing any individual part is quite straightforward, Cress wiring diagrams are arcane and ridiculous, and they are NOT easy to troubleshoot. Even my kiln tech had trouble with it, and as helpful as Arturo at Cress can be, he can’t do much over the phone.