How to transform a fired high gloss piece to satin?

I recently experimented with having a fired terra cotta art-piece glazed. The glazed finish turned out very glossy. Its nice,  but I would prefer something less glossy. Has anyone had success toning down the gloss of a piece after the fact? I have done some internet research  and my ‘best’ idea so far is sandpaper.
Any other suggestions. Or advice for me.Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jimself said:

my ‘best’ idea so far is sandpaper.

500 + 1000 grit definitely an idea.  Sand / media  blasting probably easiest way to get uniform. There are many blasting medias for different finish levels. I have used liquid glass etching for logos /initials etc… never on a whole pot though

• 3 weeks later...

There are several ways you can do it.  As mentioned you can sand blast it to subdue the finish. 

Or  you can simply reglaze it using a satin or matte glaze right over it and refire it - as long as you aren't having to fire it at a higher temperature than your other materials already used.  I do suggest you do a test tile first with the various steps but this technique has worked well for me.  You want to be sure the glazes are compatible and if your kiln cools down too fast you may need to ramp your cool down to allow time for the satin or matte glazes to mature properly. 

I've also done the reverse - fired a piece with a matte or satin glaze, then found glaze fit issues that caused crazing that might lead to dunting.  To fix it, I refired the piece with a lead based gloss glaze right over the original glaze I had applied and it fixed the issue just fine.  Just be very careful if you need to fire higher than previous firing steps as it can really mess with things underneath, change colors, cause pin holing, etc.

Yet another method would be to over glaze using flux or overglaze that has zinc oxide or similar matting agents added.  Then you fire it at the much lower overglaze temperature for that new layer.  Depending on how much matting agent you apply you may get a slightly lighter tint to the finished piece.  Such a matting agent can be applied by hand though I get the best results when using an airbrush (properly ventilated and wear a respirator of course).

And yet ANOTHER way to do it is to apply glass etching paste such as you buy at the hobby and craft stores to etch glass!  Simply apply it only to the glazed areas, not the non-glazed clay.  I suggest yet again doing tests first because you will want to see how long you need to leave it on to get the desired finish you want.

Lastly, if all that is just too scary, you can also simply apply a matte artist's grade non-yellowing varnish over your gloss.  It will hold up and not scratch off like sprays - get a bottle and apply it using a brush.  There is a long tradition of mixed media in the fine arts ceramics sculpture venue through history so don't be afraid to mix it up and even add non-ceramic elements.  You only need to be a purist if you intend to enter this piece into ceramics competitions.  If so, see above options.  

Good luck!  Nice piece!

Edited by Hyn Patty

8 hours ago, Kelly in AK said:

The glass etching paste is a brilliant idea. As @Hyn Pattysays, test first. I agree, beautiful work. 

Depends on the results you want.  If you leave glass etching paste on too long it'll make your glaze turn frosty, somewhat opaque white!  In this case it could make the sculpture look pink.  But if you don't leave it on very long you can kill that gloss and not have any substantial frosting.  So test a small discreet area first or prep a test tile to decide how long to leave it for best results.  The paste isn't cheap so you don't want to waste it by applying it and then wiping it off too soon, then have to apply it again...

an alternate approach to remove "gloss": 
place the object in a container of sharp sand then vibrate the container for a few minutes; the sharp sand will create scratch the glaze surface and remove some the "gloss"; take the object out evaluate the "gloss"; repeat as needed.  
You can also use fine emery paper and change the "gloss".  

LT

• 3 weeks later...