my kiln doesn’t engage at low and medium

Sweeney

I’ve had the kiln a little more than a year and I fire once a week and it’s been working great this whole time. I moved recently and the first bisque fire (in the new place) seemed to be going ok but it reached temp before I switched it to high and plugged it up (after candling for 4 hours on low and medium for 3 hours) That seemed weird and out of ordinary but everything looked great so I started a ^6 the next day. after about 16 hours it hadn’t reached temp so I turned it off and assumed I needed a new element in my extension (I replaced the main kiln elements recently but not the extension) I decided to not use the extension and fire just the main unit and suddenly it won’t engage—but only at low and medium—i can hear the hum of the kiln turning on at high. i took the panel off and the wires look fine but I don’t know much about electricity. they seem connected  well. could it be my kiln sitter? 

Edited by Sweeney

If everything works on high then it's not a Sitter problem or an element problem, so most likely a switch problem. Depending on how old the switch is, you may be able to find a replacement online cheaper than from Paragon. Kiln switches are not made specifically for kilns, so just do a Google search of the part number on the switch.

yea the kiln is from 1977 and I was lucky enough to be the first one to ever fire it and that was just last year! so everything is pretty old. i’ve been looking up switches on amazon but there’s so many different kinds. I’ll see if I can find a serial number on my old one! thanks for the info!

On 11/22/2022 at 4:58 PM, Sweeney said:

I moved recently and the first bisque fire (in the new place) seemed to be going ok but it reached temp before I switched it to high and plugged it up (after candling for 4 hours on low and medium for 3 hours) That seemed weird and out of ordinary but everything looked great so I started a ^6 the next day. after about 16 hours it hadn’t reached temp so I turned it off and assumed I needed a new element in my extension (

Since you have moved and this kiln requires special electric which includes a neutral in addition to the two 120v phases it is possible your new receptacle does not contain the required neutral. I would suggest confirming you have proper power. Your symptoms indicate you do not have a neutral. Paragon has parts, is still in business and has your wiring diagram and manual for your kiln in their archives. https://corp.paragonweb.com/support/kiln-wiring-diagrams/

Edited by Bill Kielb