Vent whistling?

nafeeza

I noticed today when I started my kiln for a bisque firing that the vent was making a weird whistling sound. I’ve used my kiln and vent plenty of times before and have not heard this sound. I’ve tried to attach a video but for some reason it’s not letting me upload it. 

Do vents need to be cleaned? Should I turn the kiln off? Any insight on this would be helpful 

edit Here’s a link to the video

Edited by nafeeza

Definitely screaming!  Possibilities: rotor is rubbing, out of balance, loose, crud built up, bad bearing.  Sleeve bearing or motor bearing going bad. I would definitely open it, examine closely and see if it can be cleaned and the rotor tightened. Generally not a good sign though.

Even though this is a 2000f plus kiln these fans are supposed to be set up to draw a bunch of room air to keep them below 140 f degrees even at kiln peak temperature. Overheating will shorten the life of these significantly. Something to check especially if this is not that old and when you open it the blower wheel appears overheated and rusted.

Edited by Bill Kielb

That would be a bearing. If it’s not overheating then it can run. It likely won’t run long without getting worse so replacement sooner than later. It seems you have no option so running with a bit of supervision to make sure it’s not overheating or the sound has changed and become worse is probably your best bet. It really does not have to run for the entire firing and if you have an alternative way to ventilate the space that could be your best option at this point.

Edited by Bill Kielb

I'd shoot some WD-40 into the bearing and see if that drives out anything that may be causing the squeal. Otherwise you can get a replacement motor much cheaper online than from the kiln manufacturer. Search 'Dayton 1TDP7' and you'll find lots of options. Generally they're around $90, but sometimes you can find them for $65-70.