Alternative for foot pedel

grollege

Welcome to the Forum...The primary reason for using a foot pedal is to control the speed of your wheel and enable you to use both hands while throwing. If you were to use a VFD to control your wheel speed, you would lose the continuity of the throwing function by having to interrupt the process to change wheel speed. Plus, it would get pretty messy unless you cleaned your hand each time you wanted to change speed...thus slowing down the throwing process significantly.

A lot of folks in my studio, including myself, control the wheel speed by hand rather than by foot. We just put the pedal up on the corner of the wheel. I do it because I throw standing, my students do it because they find it easier to dial in the correct speed. When I teach beginners, I have them set the speed and take their foot off the pedal so that they don't accidentally increase speed as they lean into the clay, which is a common problem. So most of my students are used to not making constant adjustments to the speed as they work. I find it doesn't slow me down at all. You just have to get used to not making adjustments all the time. Set your speed and go with it. You can throw most pots with only 2-3 adjustments through the entire process. You could just cover your hand controller with a plastic bag to keep it clean.

My partner throws this way. Throws standing, Brent wheel, pedal up on deck, controlling it with her hand. I also throw standing (saves your back), but the pedal is attached to the wheel and spring loaded. If I’m not actively using my foot the wheel stops. It’s a quirky old wheel, but works great. 

Anyway, we both manage just fine. I wouldn’t have even imagined trying that if I hadn’t seen her do it. Still, I’m a little stuck in my ways. I feel like my hands have enough to do, foot pedal for me.