Ventmaster, should I turn off before top temp reached?

Anna M

Hi Potters, 

I recently purchased a new kiln with a ventmaster, downdraft. I fire to cone 6.  I am a little bit confused as I have been advised to turn off the vent-master at approx 800 degrees. 

Everything I have read talks about leaving the vent on until the top temp has been reached  (with the option of vent kept on during cooling - which I wont do fear of glazes cooling too fast).  I cant seem to find anything about turning off the vent before top temp reached. 

Does anyone know what the reason would be to turn off vent at 800 degrees?  Will it effect the glaze if I keep it on?

Thanks 

Many folks leave them running. Adjusted correctly they only remove a tiny amount of actual kiln air. Turning it off early should save some energy, but 800c is likely too low as in bisque and even glaze things will not be entirely burned out. 1000c is probably more practical.

The key IMO is properly adjusted so mostly room air is extracted at the kiln pickup and only a small amount of kiln air is ever removed. This will save your fan from overheating and reduce the likely hood of thermal shock.

Glazes like oxygen, so having it on during the firing can brighten things up significantly and help preserve your elements from corrosive gasses.

Edited by Bill Kielb

The vent will not cool your glazes too quickly. Leave it on during the entire firing, and don't worry about turning it off until you're ready to open the lid. If it's the old style vent with the motor mounted directly under the kiln, leaving it on will increase the life of the motor since it cools itself when it's running.