Solid casting problem

hanor

I made a white clay slip with specific gravity 180 yesterday for solid casting !

(idk how to say it in english , i mean slip weight waa 180g  when water 100g)

and I added about 1.5 times more of the the release agent(Sodium silicate )than usual..

But unexpectedly, the slip stuck to the mold. I thought this was a phenomenon when there was a lot of water in the slip. Or does this happen depending on the drying condition of the mold?

plz help me... 

9 hours ago, hanor said:

and I added about 1.5 times more of the the release agent(Sodium silicate )than usual..

But unexpectedly, the slip stuck to the mold. I thought this was a phenomenon when there was a lot of water in the slip. Or does this happen depending on the drying condition of the mold?

My guess at the physics of the process...

Sodium Silicate is not a release agent, it's a deflocculant. It lets you make a workable slip with less water. But it's not the more the better, there is a sweet spot (which your usual casting slip will/should-be close to).

Basically the mold sucks water out of the slip causing it to cast. The casting get slower as -
- the cast walls get thicker (more resistance to water flow)
- the mold gets saturated with water (and stops sucking)

The first required patience (and perhaps optimization of slip properties).

The second requires  --
- either a thick mold which can comfortably absorb all the water that needs to come out of the slip to complete the casting.
- or exceptional patience to wait while water evaporates out of the saturated mold, which then can start sucking again.
- in either case starting with a really dry mold can only help.

10 hours ago, hanor said:

I thought this was a phenomenon when there was a lot of water in the slip.

That's because in that case the extra water may saturate the mold even when you are only casting thin walls.