Need advice/suggestions on a COMPLETE retrofit of older L&L J2927 kiln

4 hours ago, Dick White said:

When you order the elements from L&L, ask/confirm the design resistance of each element and the connection requirements (parallel vs. series) for the elements they are providing. It is possible they have a different plan now than in 1996.

Just got off the phone with L&L technician. There is no problem converting from 208v to 240v with the existing setup on this old kiln. Although, he did correct me that the elements are wired in parallel (not in series). So, I have ordered the appropriate new elements and thermocouples. The bad news for my wallet (other than all these other purchases): I will need to use 3 AWG copper from the panel to the kiln, since it is a 50 foot run. Copper ain't cheap these days. 

Still, I am on track to keep the overall upgrade costs under $2,000, which is not a bad price for a basically new kiln with 10 cf of firing space.

Of course this does not include the cost of the venting system -- but that will come later, after the kiln itself is completed.

Making progress ...

Next up:  Bricks - Repair or Replace?

I have attached a photo sheet of the 8 locations in the kiln and on the lid where major brick repair OR replacement needs to happen. I ask the experts to weigh in here. The photos are numbered 1 through 8, so that you can indicate for each number REPAIR or REPLACE.

If you need higher resolution images please let me know -- because these are shrunk down in order to fit the size limit here.  

Thanks!

Bricks.jpg.e188123b136c6dafc604e1b16cb09d83.jpg

No repair would last very long on the wall bricks. Replace the bricks. Talk to L&L to see if the old element holders will fit in the new bricks. I think they will, but double check. If you can avoid buying new holders that'll save you some $. If you do have to use some new holders, depending on how the new holders line up with the old ones you may want to put all the new ones in a line. The broken spot on the lid (#8) can probably be filled in with brick dust and mortar. Is that on the inside or the outside of the lid?

8 hours ago, neilestrick said:

No repair would last very long on the wall bricks. Replace the bricks. Talk to L&L to see if the old element holders will fit in the new bricks. I think they will, but double check. If you can avoid buying new holders that'll save you some $. If you do have to use some new holders, depending on how the new holders line up with the old ones you may want to put all the new ones in a line. The broken spot on the lid (#8) can probably be filled in with brick dust and mortar. Is that on the inside or the outside of the lid?

There are two spots on the lid: one on the inside and one on the outside. #3 is the one on the inside.

Sounds like another call to L&L for bricks. They were super helpful with the elements, thermocouples and other items, so I am sure they will be able to help with the question about the new bricks and the element holders.

Thanks!