Sheared pigtail where pigtail ends and element begins

Ret

Hi team of smart people,

sheared a pigtail off of a brqnd spanking new element. Please, don’t ask how. It was stupid. Have joined, see pic. Will this conduct the electricity to the element, considering that no part of the main element is in direct contact with the wire ?

thanks so much,

ret

79B558DF-1A4B-47E0-A52A-8A2809309743.jpeg

This will not last as the connection between will corrode and the junction will fail.  As a temporary measure you can heat the element to red hot with a propane torch and straighten out enough coils to get enough length to use as an element end. It’s got to be heated red when straightening and it’s only temporary.

Edited by Bill Kielb

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

It’s got to be heated red when straightening and it’s only temporary.

Actually, I don't think it does need to be heated given the element hasn't been fired yet. Stretch out enough of the element to make a new pigtail. Given the extra work the wire will have it will probably shorten the element life.

1 hour ago, Min said:

Actually, I don't think it does need to be heated given the element hasn't been fired yet.

Yes, you can do a new element cold but like all cold things it tends to harden and stretch at each cold bend. If you can safely do it hot, it bends like butter else do it cold. I would consider it temporary and likely to fail first.

Ret is retxy on a computer. For some reason I can't log in to the Ret account on my laptop. 

Thank you SO much for this kind help you have given me. I appreciate the input and am relieved that the loss of a few coils shouldn't mess me up too badly. These mama jammas ain't cheap!!!!!

Thanks!
D