Relative weight of different clays

7 hours ago, Crooked Lawyer Potter said:

Is that my imagination or are grogged red clays perhaps lighter per given volume? 

A lot of the weight of raw clay would be influenced by the water content, but fired I think you should be able to discern the difference  in density between identical volumes of finish fired shapes. Porcelain is generally denser and therefore stronger in some respects than other clays. (Definitely depends on what we are considering stronger) It’s just a property of the finished product though.

I've noticed this sensation too! I also use B Mix 5, and have a few pieces made by a friend out of Standard's 112, and it definitely feels lighter in weight for a similar thickness of clay. I compress and rib off all slip which may also contribute to this.

But I also had an aha moment when I was filling sandbags. I was running out of sand and went to the store to get more. The new sand was not just sand but dusty particles as well. I filled my sandbag to the same level as the previous ones and it weighed several pounds more. All those little bits filled in the space between the bigger sand particles. I was thinking this is maybe similar to how clay particles of different sizes might fit together too. 

Archived