Upgrading old kiln vs buying a new kiln

Hi, I have a B23 H CRESS kiln with sitter that has not been performing well (I think it is over 20 years old). It used to fire to temperate no problem. I replaced the elements 6 months ago and it was working well. .. Then it wasn't reaching temp again shortly after, it is very possible it got rained on lightly or had misty dew on it a few time but not heavy rain... .  My husband then disconnected all the connections to the coils/cleaned up the screws and reattached them again it reached cone 6 for one firing. Now it won't even reach 06 for a bisc fire just 2 weeks later. 

Any recommendations on how to solve this? My main question is if I upgrade with an electric controller or replace the electrical components should it start working consistently? Do you think this is repairable? Or is it time for a new kiln?  

Thank you in advance !!!

Lots of possibilities here. Start with seeing if all the elements glow when you put them on high for a bit. If a section isn't working, then you'll have to figure out where the power flow is stopping in the system, either in a wiring connection or a switch.

If the bricks are in good condition, then it's generally worth repairing. Chances are it's just one part that is the problem.

If it's in an environment where it could get rained on or be subject to dewy mornings, I would definitely not upgrade it to a digital controller unless you do a wall mounted controller and bring it inside when not in use, however that doesn't help any of the issues with the current system because it would all still be in use as well.

• 2 months later...