handle "issues"

Hello everyone,

I am having problems with my mug handles pulling away from the pot. I have recently moved from a very dry climate to a much more humid one, so am surprised at this happening. I usually pull my handles, let them set up and then score/slip on to the mug.

It seems that no matter how slowly I dry them it still happens.

I am using Plainsman clay, M340 and M370.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

prpotter

Sounds like the mugs are too dry for the application of the handles. Try placing the handles and the mugs together in plastic to even out the moisture content then apply the handles with scoring and slip then return them to the plastic and let them dry slowly. Do not allow them to dry too quickly.

One item is drier than the other-either its the mug or the handle and I guess its the mug as well. Spray them down and put your handles on straight away then wrap it all up for 1 night.The other reason may be the handle wants o fall off so put them so they can rest against each other on a bat.

Mark

Thank you so much for answering my question! I think you are both right - the mug body is too dry for the handle attachment. I have been assuming that I can leave the mugs out longer here as there is so much more moisture in the air... but you know what they say about assuming.

I will work on a new batch of mugs this week and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again....

prpotter

I agree with Lucilla and Mark. I would only add that you always have to beware of drafts. Perhaps get an old sheet or some thin fabric and cover your mugs once they are strong enough to take it. This will retard the drying and allow them to dry more evenly by keeping the air off of them. I would also cover them after you put handles on. Generally, the mug body is thinner than the handle. So even if they are close in drying the mug will tend to dry faster. I always turn my mugs upside down to even up the rates of shrinkage.

If you want to know, what is happening is that the mug body is shrinking as it dries and deforming the handle. Then the handle shrinks and is now "smaller" than the mug and no longer fits it. To compensate it pulls away or breaks if it is real thin and well stuck. This is the same thing that happens when a bottom gets an 'S' crack. The outer rim compresses the bottom, then the bottom shrinks and pulls away from the middle, causing the crack.

Joel.

Archived