Kiln shelves for L&L e23s-3

Pat B.

I only have half shelves for my kiln and I would like to buy whole shelves so I can do plates without going across the gap. Since I have 3" brick, I only have 22" width in my kiln (a little less at the element holders). Can I use 21" round shelves? There would only be a half inch clearance all around. I would prefer 20" round.

Locally I can get  21" round shelves at Bailey Ceramic for $50 each, no shipping cause I'll pick them up.

Sheffield Pottery is also local to me and they have 20" round, but they cost $77 each (also no shipping). Is it worth the extra money?

I'm told not to mix half and whole shelves so I would need to buy three of them. Is that true? Can I use one whole shelf on the bottom and use half shelves above it? If so, how do you arrange the posts?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Pat

You can mix and match full and half, but the danger is that the full shelf might not sit evenly with 4 posts and may rock, which could cause cracking or warping of the shelf. If it's not sitting evenly, you can put a little bit of clay on all the posts to make it even. Put some kiln wash on the posts and clay so they don't fuse together. Or better yet make some wadding out of alumina and EPK.

You can use the 21" shelves, but you'll have a heck of a time getting them in and out because there won't be room for your fingers. However cordierite shelves are really easy to cut with a masonry disc on a circular saw, so you could cut a flat spot on two sides to make room for your fingers.

thanks,  neil!   i have been using the wide shelves in my 3 inch wall L&L and it is hard to lift them with fingertips, sometimes. 

now my real question.  if i can cut a straight line with the saw using a masonry blade, is there a width measurement you might suggest so i can make a slot to avoid getting too close to a thermocouple?    i assume there is a drill bit or hole saw that will make the top of the slot.  sort of like a keyhole without the angles.

i use lots of shelves and sometimes it is frustrating to use a 3 or 4 inch post just because a thermocouple is too close when the work will fit in a 2 inch space.

If you're going to cut an opening for a thermocouple I'd give it 2 inches clearance all around. You could drill a hole with a masonry bit then cut to it from the edge to form a triangle. I was fortunate to have a shelf break with a pretty good thermocouple slot. Comes in very handy in the middle of the kiln.

Archived