Start Stop button not working

So I watched the troubleshoot video, cleaned my already very clean ribbon, air compressed out the slot, and stuck it back in. It's still not working.

According to the L&L video, the next step is to replace the whole control panel. (I have fired this kiln 68 times over 5-6 years, I bought it new.)

Is there anything else I can do? Or is this just how it is?

8 minutes ago, LogicalHue said:

So I watched the troubleshoot video, cleaned my already very clean ribbon, air compressed out the slot, and stuck it back in. It's still not working.

According to the L&L video, the next step is to replace the whole control panel. (I have fired this kiln 68 times over 5-6 years, I bought it new.)

Is there anything else I can do? Or is this just how it is?

Usually cleaning the ribbon fixes issues with the buttons. Make sure it's well seated in the slot. Is the kiln in a humid/damp environment? If so, try drying off the circuit board with a hair dryer, not too hot, and see if it works then. Moisture can cause problems. How did you clean the ribbon?

Are the other buttons all working? Have you tried both a Vary-Fire program and a Cone Fire program and see if either of them will start? Sometimes one will stop working but the other is fine. If one works but the other doesn't, then the controller needs to be replaced because it's not a button issue. Or you can just fire with the one that does work. It's rare for them to just fail like that, but it does happen occasionally.

The only other thing I can think of …….. the controllers are very robust and use tactile buttons comprised of conductive rubber material that contacts some traces on the circuit board. If these traces become oxidized or the conductive material is not up to snuff the button becomes less and less touch sensitive. Often you will be able to find a working spot on it by pressing harder in different areas of the button. If this is the case, you may be able to use it for awhile by hunting around and judiciously pressing with a finger nail.

These switches have proven extremely resilient in use over time, but occasionally they do go bad so repair is generally not something that is lasting or often reasonably possible since the assemblies are generally sealed at assembly time.

Thank you both for the suggestions!  I also feel validated that you are both agreeing that the buttons failing is rare and shouldn't happen. I'm pretty frustrated about it but didn't want to freak out if it was a lot more commonplace than I assume.

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

Often you will be able to find a working spot on it by pressing harder in different areas of the button. If this is the case, you may be able to use it for awhile by hunting around and judiciously pressing with a finger nail.

This worked! My kiln is on. I started at a far corner and it worked right away. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, LogicalHue said:

This worked! My kiln is on. I started at a far corner and it worked right away. Thanks again!

FYI - I have a small air conditioner that I have been using for about four years now, same issue, dont want to replace the board. Just mentioning, It is possible that it will continue to work for quite some time.

Archived