Kiln won't heat, despite power light being on. Will life ever be the same again?

Dan_W

Hi everybody, hope you're all doing well.

I just got my Hobbytech 40 of storage, after being away for the last couple of years. I last fired it the day before it went into the storage unit, with no problems.

When I tried firing today, it would not heat up. The red power light turns on, but nothing else happens. 

I opened the side of the kiln , for the first time, and have attached some images. I can't find any breaks in the elements. I'm guessing that the component that the power knob is connected to might need replacing, but I'm not totally sure.

Any help would be really appreciated. I've been waiting to get back to my kiln for a long time.....

thumbnail_IMG_0104.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Could be a switch. I think we had someone here recently with that type of kiln  and the problem was the lid safety switch needed adjusting or replacing. I believe that is in the third photo. Ultimately you'll need to trace the flow of electricity and see where it stops.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:33 PM, neilestrick said:

Could be a switch. I think we had someone here recently with that type of kiln  and the problem was the lid safety switch needed adjusting or replacing. I believe that is in the third photo. Ultimately you'll need to trace the flow of electricity and see where it stops.

Thanks, Neil! That does seem to be the problem, and the switch was discontinued a few years ago. I'm trying to find the thread were somebody had the same problem, but can't. I'm hoping I can find out a way to bypass the switch (all it seems to do is shut the kiln off when the lid is up.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Dan_W said:

Thanks, Neil! That does seem to be the problem, and the switch was discontinued a few years ago. I'm trying to find the thread were somebody had the same problem, but can't. I'm hoping I can find out a way to bypass the switch (all it seems to do is shut the kiln off when the lid is up.

Thanks again!

If I remember correctly, theirs just needed adjusting so the switch was in the proper position to allow power through when the lid was closed.

If you bypass the switch, the kiln will not be up to code, and technically would be a safety hazard. If it's being used in a commercial space, community studio, etc, you'll need to fix it.

Archived