Slightly crackled slip on glazed body

I think you might be better off (once you get the right crackle glaze) rather than hoping the colored underglaze will show through, washing the pot with a colored stain so that the stain fills the cracks and then refiring with a clear glaze overcoat. 

• 1 month later...

I think I´m looking for similar advice Stevie. Are the crackle slip variations of Hashimoto of interest to you?  I´ve posted several photos (drool). I would love to get into this specific topic more and hopefully get some good tips! Let me know if this is what you´re interested in. I think we might have the makings of  a study group with @Pawelpksa?? xoxo - Heather

@HeatherArtLife, larger white pot in your link to your other thread looks like a crackle slip. Rhodes / Oestreich cone 10 crackle slip should work at cone 6 also. It will probably take some tweaking of the glaze to get the amount of crackle you want fine tuned. (borax needs to be dissolved in very hot water before adding to the glaze) If the slip peels away from the bisque then reduce the kaolin and increase the calcined kaolin and/or reduce the thickness of the slip.

2 minutes ago, Min said:

@HeatherArtLife, larger white pot in your link to your other thread looks like a crackle slip. Rhodes / Oestreich cone 10 crackle slip should work at cone 6 also. It will probably take some tweaking of the glaze to get the amount of crackle you want fine tuned. (borax needs to be dissolved in very hot water before adding to the glaze) If the slip peels away from the bisque then reduce the kaolin and increase the calcined kaolin and/or reduce the thickness of the slip.

Thank you for the great tips! :wub:

No problem! If you find the slip stains too much from being too porous when fired then increase the Custer to tighten it up or try a one or two percent of 3110  frit or talc. 

Archived