Possible to test if a kilnsitter kiln works without cones?

cusher

Got a used kiln recently free. Its older, has a ltk-3 kilnsitter on it. How can I test if it works , without first purchasing cones? I do have electricity required. I would like to convert it to a computer interface for ease and safety, any reccomendations also welcome on that.

thanks

Hi cusher!

That sitter is likely very similar to, else same as what my kiln is fitted with.
The hinged part swings down and pops the switch off when the claw rises due to the cone/bar deformation*...

Easy enough to dial the timer up (the unit won't switch on when the timer is on zero), then push the button in. The weight doesn't have to be set for that.

That the kiln heats up ok, that tests the on/off switch, aye.
From there, does the timer motor run properly, and does the switch transition to "off" when the timer expires?
From there ii, is the sitter adjusted such that it trips when the small cone (or bar) deforms?

My kiln has three high/medium/low rotary switches.
I'd invested in a pyrometer setup; I monitor the temperature using that and keep notes.
Early on, I also watched cone packs set where I could see them through the peeps**. Now I just watch the pyrometer, although I do place a target cone where it could be seen, should the pyrometer fail...
That to say it just takes hanging about*** and periodically checking to fire successfully in "manual."

The likely #1 answer you'll get on conversion to digital control may be: invest in a standalone box that your kiln's power cord and pyrometer(s) plug into.
Here's one 60 amp 240 volt 3 zone controller | Orton Ceramic
There are several other ready to go solutions offered by other vendors...
I'm holding off. I don't mind flipping the switches and monitoring. My next kiln will be new or close to new, and will have e control "built in."

*With some trials and careful adjustment, a sitter can be fairly accurate, however, I see it as a backup. I'm watching the pyrometer and pyrometric cones.
Try "how to adjust dawson kiln sitter" search string in your browser; there are many manuals, video clips, etc. online, also several threads archived on this forum.

**Wear proper kiln glasses against harmful rays and any superheated flying bits!

***If hanging about, absolutely avoid exposure to kiln fumes. Also avoid fumes getting into your living space.
I've added a powered vent to my kiln, which helps quite a lot, however, there were still fumes, so I also put together an overhead vent system...

Archived