Raku kiln

So I have a gas kin that I use for ^10 firings that is made of hardbrick, it is coffin style so I take off the bricks on the top to load/unload and i was wondering if I just placed some ceramic fiber on the top then I could use that as a lid for Raku firing.

Will this work?

Darrel:P

The hard bricks will cause some problems in the speed of your firing and they will really hold the heat . That will make it very hot when removing the piece. Wear good safety ware.

The hard bricks absorb the heat rather than reflect it like insulation brick or fiber. if you really want to be effecient, line the whole kiln with fiber.

The raku kiln used at the college where I began teaching in 1975, had a hard brick wood fired "raku" kiln that fired one batch in 8 hours.

I replaced it with A wood fired brick fire box and beehive that supported the fiber lined barrel on pullies. Much faster. The removal of the fiber to go back to your gas kiln would be somewhat hazardous as fiber can lose some of its integrity and could release fibers into the air more readily than it does when new. This is hazardous material and should be handled with great care. mask, and head to toe covering , and goggles. Store it wrapped in plastic bags.

Marcia

At AIR (artist in residence) Vallauris, France

Beautiful weather here and the town is lovely.

Archived