KB3d

I am getting ready to go down the Terra Sig path. I need to understand the different clays that will work. It seems well documented that Ball Clay is a good option, although I don’t have a lot of that. I’m wondering if Tile Clay #6, Blackbird(Barnard)clay, or Laguna Frost(I have lots of slip) slip would make a nice smooth Terra Sigilatta to use on Terra Cotta thrown work?

Ball clay is good because it has a lot of fine particles. Kaolin (Tile 6) is not as fine, so it will not work as well, however that doesn't mean it won't work at all. I haven't used Blackbird in decades so I can't help you there. Laguna Frost will probably give you a low percentage of fine material since only half of porcelain bodies is clay, and that clay is kaolin. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and test all 3, though. Maybe you'll get something fabulous!

BTW, I have at least 4 accounts with Ceramic Arts Daily + one more with the Potters Guild of NJ.  The Forum keeps making me create new sign-ins.  It’s very frustrating. My original account is from maybe 10 years ago. I don’t know if you know about this. If I put my other account, the message comes up that that name is already taken. The PGNJ is beyond frustrated, and they are paying the big bucks for us all to be able to navigate CAD. Phone calls go unanswered. . . 

1 hour ago, KB3d said:

BTW, I have at least 4 accounts with Ceramic Arts Daily + one more with the Potters Guild of NJ.  The Forum keeps making me create new sign-ins.  It’s very frustrating. My original account is from maybe 10 years ago. I don’t know if you know about this. If I put my other account, the message comes up that that name is already taken. The PGNJ is beyond frustrated, and they are paying the big bucks for us all to be able to navigate CAD. Phone calls go unanswered. . . 

Hi KB3d, I'll pass your issue along to admin, this isn't something mods can look into.

Archived