Pyrometer reading incorrectly.

cadenrank

So I just bought a new cheap pyrometer and thermocouple for one of my older kilns. I installed it yesterday, and did ramped the kiln for 20 minutes or so to make sure the temperature was increasing as expected, and it was. This morning, I went out to load the kiln, and started a bisque firing, and plugged in the thermocouple to the pyrometer and got a reading of 238 degrees F. I was just in the kiln loading it, and it was definitely room temperature, and my digital kiln that is in the same room had 12 degrees on the readout, which is accurate. 

I'm not really sure what the issue is here or how to diagnose it. This thermocouple is just for information, it doesn't control anything so my bisque firing today is continuing. I can still see witness cones, and the kiln sitter is watching. I've attached pictures of devices I'm using. I've permanently installed it into the middle of the kiln. 

Kiln Digital and Analog Pyrometers at discount prices - Clay-King.com
and
6 Inch Type K TC TCK-1 Thermocouple

Just because of the set up in the room, I've been using it by just plugging it into the pyrometer when I want to see the temperature in the kiln. I'm not sure if this is the proper way to utilize one or not, I still would think it would read the correct temperature when plugged in. Not sure if cold has anything to do with the meter maybe? Not sure. Thanks for any input!

50 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

On that model thermocouple, the screws that hold the thermocouple wire in the ceramic block don't tighten onto the wires unless you remove the washers on the screws or double/triple up the wires. Make sure all screw connections are tight.

It appears like it's reading an expected temperature right now, but it was all over the place this morning. 

I had made a loop out of the thermocouple wires and tightened the loop between the washers, but I will double check them again when it's cool. 

On 1/22/2022 at 12:00 PM, cadenrank said:

had made a loop out of the thermocouple wires and tightened the loop between the washers, but I will double check them again when it's cool. 

Definitely make sure the connections are tight but also make sure the type thermocouple is set correct cycling the mode button. “type k” in the picture, as set to something other than the matching thermocouple type (J, N, R, S, to name a few others) you will get a strange reading.

Archived