Firing schedule

Katerina

Hello everybody,

I m new to ceramics and I just bought a second hand manual small skutt kiln e10f 23×23×25.I would like to have suggestion about a bisque firing schedule for low temperature clay!!Also what s the difference when you bisque fire low temp. Clay from high temp.clay like stoneware??

Thank you!!!

are you asking if it would be safe to use stoneware but fire it only to a low temperature for bisque fire before firing it to its stoneware final temperature?   if so, yes, that is usually how it is done.   

if you are asking if stoneware clay can be used if it is only fired to low temperatures then the answer is no.  do not do this, the clay will not be waterproof or strong enough to be handled often.    even if you glaze such ware with a low fire glaze, it will not hold liquids without leaking.

Thank you for the answer.So i can bisque fire a high temperature clay in cone 04 and when the piece is bisque fired athen put the glaze on and fire at cone 5 or 6.Is that ok ?cause my kiln can fire until cone 6 and my clays have a fire range from 1000-1240 Celsius .

Bisque is almost always fired to ^06 - ^04, regardless of the maturing temperature of the clay, and the final glaze firing.

17 hours ago, Katerina said:

clays have a fire range from 1000-1240 Celsius .

Firing this clay lower than the top temperature will mean it's underfired, and may remain porous.  Wide temperature clays are a compromise, and often are not perfect at any temperature.  If you can, buy clay with a smaller range. 

But test what you have.

Archived