skutt km 714 13amp

Mop

I'm not seeing 2 different models of this kiln on the Skutt website, there is only one listed. However, it is shown as being capable of either 208 volts or 240 volts single phase. If one does the math on the specification of 3600 watts at 240 volts (typical of a residential location), it will draw 15 amps, and the elements are 16 ohms. If you take the same kiln with the same 16 ohm elements and plug it into a 208V outlet (typical of many commercial locations), it will draw only 13 amps, and only generate 2700 watts of heat. Could this be what you are wondering?

As Dick mentioned above, however my guess from the spec is they offer two different elements for the kiln still maintaining 3600 w. So at 240v it’s. 15 amp plug, but at 208 it’s a 17 amp draw so hard wiring would be more the norm. A Best guess - anyway.

Looking further, the elements are the same regardless of voltage so I have no idea, none of these numbers makes sense At 11.4 ohms it’s over 5000 w and at 208 it’s just over 3600 w which means the 240v version would more than likely be hardwired. Anyway, according to Skutt there is no diffencenin elements.

3BE28385-8FBC-48D4-BC98-A3B9DFFF9C9E.jpeg

9ECEB34A-2D97-4ECE-8D4A-5C859B257C53.jpeg

Ok, you are across the pond while we are lost in the colonies. It appears that the UK market has 2 different models of the 714. Both are 230V, but one is rated at 13a and generates 3kw of heat. Doing the math, those elements are 17.65 ohms of total resistance. The other is rated at 16a and generates 3.6kw of heat, which would be elements of 14.69 ohms of total resistance. Simply hard wiring the 13a version would not change the heat output. You would need to change the elements to the higher heating wire, and in doing so, you would need to hardwire it. Since they are the same price, get the one that your mains can support.

Interesting on this side of the pond how they achieve 3600 w. It’s a combination relying on split phase power popular here. (120 / 240v 4 wire) or 120 /208 4 wire) I would imagine the UK version is significantly different but still has the variation in wattage between Lower and upper ring.

5EBFE6E9-A9CD-4186-9383-BA38F49B7B6B.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at one on eBay but will only buy if it can one day go to cone 10. I've looked at replacement elements for the 714 and there are 13&16 amp options, I'm hoping the rest of the internal wiring will be the same . I'll message the dealer, and skutt tomorrow to double check

Archived