Calcium bentonite clay?

SueDirani

Ok, this is going to be a bit of a kooky question.  I was cleaning out my linen closet today and found a jar of "100% natural calcium bentonite clay" marketed as a facial treatment.  (I think my daughter must have bought it some time ago...but I digress.)  I was about to discard it when I started thinking about the bentonite I have with my glaze mixing supplies.    I'll attach a couple of photos but I'm just wondering if this is the same stuff I use as a glaze additive or something different.  If it's the same, I'll keep it and if it's not the same, well, maybe I'll just give myself a facial.  :-D

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sue

IMG_2507.JPG.c7a3ab5c91507959fe6eea451e97e177.JPGIMG_2508.JPG.4b9bde1172701c06eb4d04c773bbc876.JPG

Calcium bentonites swell less than the sodium ones most potters use. You could try it, might need a little more of it and it could take longer to work though. Since bentonite is relatively inexpensive I'ld stick with your regular supply and not bother with trying it in your glazes. If you wanted to try an experiment mix some of it with hot water into a slurry then add a pinch of soda ash to it, let it sit for a bit and see if it starts acting more like the usual sodium bentonites.

If not have a lovely facial :)

Archived