Found an old Lockerbie model k. can I clean it up?

Lulu blue

Hi there everyone!

it's been a while since I have thrown on a wheel, but since recently having undergone brain surgery, I've been wanting to start again. A neighbor found an old rusty Lockerbie model K in their tenants yard and has offered it to me for free, but it's pretty rusty. The kick portion seems to work great it spins smoothly, do you think I can clean it up and make it worth while?? I would need to buy a seat, if they even sell those, or make one and then I'll need the buy the plastic portion that goes underneath... but will the rust be a problem?? The top plate is actually very clean. 

Use this stuff-apply with a brush and let sit a day. first use a wire brush on any loose material. After treatment you can prime and paint the metal 

https://www.amazon.com/Ospho-605-Metal-Treatment/dp/B000C02CDG/ref=asc_df_B000C02CDG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141575813&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2484330802412347058&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032410&hvtargid=pla-311564357921&psc=1

laguna Clay  company near you (less than 1 hour) carries these wheels and you may order parts from them.

On a side note these old kick wheels are usally very low cost or free as they weigh a ton and are huge. They can last lifetimes-just keep the shaft and bearings greased.

Archived