Test firing an older kiln

Hi everyone! 
just wanting to double check myself here - I have an older Duncan kiln and my work is starting to pile up!

Im finally ready to test fire! I know most people test fire to 04 but I’m waiting on cones to come in so I’m going to test fire to 05.

I have bar cones 05 1/2 for my sitter - 

How long should I set my timer for? 
and what setting do I use? 

A0F75E16-2875-46A7-BF4C-2CFFEA98470F.jpeg

4E84DE45-7347-4BFE-B174-CB897E53BF36.jpeg

Best to download the manual and read it. The timer should be set as a safety to shut off 1/2 hour after the kiln is expected to reach cone so experience with how long this takes at a given power level for a given amount of stuff in the kiln. The power level will also likely need to be adjusted during firing to achieve a reasonable firing time. This is an early attempt at automating firing a bit so the general ideas seems to be switch in auto, top knob off cycles the bottom elements for two hours at which point the bottom elements turn on 100% and then maybe you start ramping up the top elements counter clockwise to fit your desired firing time. In the end it appears to be confusing to many and they maybe establish some amount to turn the top knob counterclockwise after some time in the firing to get their desired firing time.

General guidelines would be glaze fire - 6 to 8 hours,  biscuit - maybe 8-10 hours.

zIf you search this forum for teacher plus you should find quite a bit written on it.

Archived