ITC My experience

ITC HT-100-my experience.

I have used many gallons of this stuff over the past 20 years. I used to get a good deal from Fritz (the owner) on it back in the day.Now it’s way overpriced. The company has new owners and the price just went wayup August 1st.

I have mostly sprayed it. I used to coat my shelves to keep them flatter longer at cone 11.I have coated 1-inch thick 12x24 dry pressed English shelves at least 50 of them. I also sprayed it on mullite shelves 1x12x24s

I found that these shelves warped quickly at cone 11 but did not when sprayed with HT-100 near as fast.It will make delay warping buy extending the shelve flatness period. At lower temps this is entirely not needed so you lower temp folks need not worry about this.

I have sprayed a lot in the salt kiln as well-it will resistsalt coating fiber –soft bricks and hard bricks. It will keep salt off shelvesas well.

It is always better to spray a thin coat instead of a thickcoat that has its own weight and will spall off-so keep it thin on stuff. It will stick and not come off most surfaces as long as you prep them-vacuum and spray lightly with water (not on shelves) fire the kiln to bisque afterspraying before glaze firing.I sprayed it on my fiber door and soft brick walls on my car kiln which gets fired every week here-I cannot address the energy savings as I have not kept track as I’m not a numbers guy as to gas use.It has reflective properties and is mainly used in heavy industry like steel. As with most items we use it’s all geared for industrial uses withpotters being way down that list.

ITC is good stuff but its cost now is to high.

I have not tried to use it over problem areas on the top row of bricks in an electric to make the load in brick surface tougher and also a electric lid to keep the surface reflective and in the salt kiln, which is always one large problem that needs repair, almost everyfire. I have my own coating for that now which is proprietary to me and I’m not sure what I’ll do with it as I may market in the future when/if I slow down.

Mark

Guest JBaymore
It is always better to spray a thin coat instead of a thickcoat..........

That is the key with ITC 100 HT...... is is "Un-American"........ less is more.

best,

..................john

John, I guess you missed my question on the other thread. If you don't mind, could you tell me if ITC changes the index of refraction or is it a blackbody type of material (or something else)? I've been wondering about this for a while now and I'm guessing you would be the guy who knows.

Joel.

Archived