The term 'laminated' when used in reference to clay

Hi All,

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I am putting it here.  I am reading descriptions for classes at La Meridiana and in two different classes, they use the term laminated. Does anyone know what they mean by this? 

Here is one of them:

In Inlaid Coloured Porcelain for Intermediate and Advanced Susan Nemeth teaches a unique method of decoration. Firstly, laminated sheets of coloured clays, inlaid with pattern or imagery will be lightly beaten, rolled and stretched, then formed into shape.

And here is the other description, which is a class with Sarah Kirschen:

The porcelain techniques are based on the use of stained porcelain slabs that are laminated, cut and overlapped. 

Thank you,

Betty

yes, laminated means there is a layer of one color of clay on top of a layer of clay.   when several layers are placed on top of each other and cut through, stripes of the colors result.  

one of our members does that all the time, look for her work under "colored clay".   somebody will remember her name, i can't think of it right now even though i can see her avatar in my head.

christine, i think is the first name. she is in north carolina.

Thank you oldlady. I wasn't sure if laminated was in reference to layering or some technique that I hadn't heard of. So in other words, it's what one does to create nerikomi or neriage. If those terms had been used then I would have understood what they meant.  

I believe you mean Chris Campbell. 

Archived