1227 vent holes not pulling during whole firing

brettwulc

Hey all,

I recently upgraded from a 1027 to a 1227. I use a 110v Ventmaster, and i'm smelling some strong fumes during a bisque. I have two 1/4 holes in the floor, and two 1/4 in the lid. I wanted to see how things went before drilling more holes. 

The lid holes have stopped pulling a flame after a certain temp (around 1000 f) and seem to just be blowing out air. Do I need another hole in the floor? More draw from vent cup under the kiln (putting paper over one of the 3 larger holes) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

A kiln that size should have three 1/4" holes. Start with that, and make sure your floor holes are clear. Also make sure the cup is sitting flush with the bottom of the kiln, and that your kiln lid is sitting tight. If the lid is too loose it will spoil the draft. If none of that works you can try blocking one of the holes on the cup.

39 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

A kiln that size should have three 1/4" holes. Start with that, and make sure your floor holes are clear. Also make sure the cup is sitting flush with the bottom of the kiln, and that your kiln lid is sitting tight. If the lid is too loose it will spoil the draft. If none of that works you can try blocking one of the holes on the cup.

Great, thanks for the advice neil!

Doing a cone 6 in the next couple days and will try this out. 

Archived