Element pigtail too short

Osso

Hi all!

I JUST replaced all the elements in my skutt 818. One of them burnt at the connector, which now makes the kiln fire too long (not up to temp) and the pigtail broke off so now it's too short. Is there any way to fix this without replacing the entire element again? I've done maybe ten firings with this brand new set of elements. 

Thank you! 

5 hours ago, Osso said:

. Is there any way to fix this without replacing the entire element again? I've done maybe ten firings with this brand new set of elements. 

If you are handy with a torch you can heat up and unwind some element to extend your pigtail, (It needs to be glowing red, so careful!)  but really they ought to be doubled over or folded back on themselves at the end and this will reduce the length of the element ever so slightly so ONLY a temporary fix  even done well. Neil is correct, get some decent crimpers. A decent crimp takes lots of force and crimps so tightly that it will not burn off. You can find crimpers at big box stores but Amazon does have some very economical  ratchet style (even Klein tools) that won’t release until enough pressure has been applied. A bit more goof proof.

6A82A378-CB9F-4184-945A-26E52352FD23.jpeg

3 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Get something like this, they work great and have nice cutters, too. There are cheaper versions out there.

Whatever you get crimp it very tight. Single levers like these are fine but don’t give you the leverage of compound. My version of tight is likely different than yours as I am regularly tested at 110 lbs grip strength which is quite high ………. for other reasons. When I single lever crimp, I squeeze as tight as I can for a decent period of time. Ratchets won’t release until they have been squeezed enough, again they are a bit more goof proof, but single levers  are fine as well. Squeeze tight.

Mine use this type of connection, not the crimped connection. I will be replacing the screw connection that looks a little burnt and replacing the element but I'm bummed.

Do y'all think I should switch to the crimp connectors? The screw ones were on the kiln when I bought it and I like them.

Screenshot_20210905-094817.jpg

Archived