Please help with Kiln controls

Tinworm

Hi

I wonder if anyone here can identify my kiln, which I bought second hand, which is clearly very old and which I am having some difficulty controlling.

Its plate says that it was made by Arterial Engineering Works, Ltd, Blakeney, Holt, Norfolk (UK)

It has a knob on its side which runs 0-4, Full, Simmer

It is wired to an auto-off/ soak timer with a number on it:  XMTD 3011

I would really love some guidance on the controls

Thanks

DSCF1783.JPG

Old kiln, the controller you mention is likely a temperature (PID) controller made in China. XMT -3000 series. This may help with the operation and programming. http://file.yizimg.com/32073/2014101110180361.doc be warned, these controllers are not user friendly to most potters, they have been used for decades in process control though. 
Since most kilns are very simple electrically and if this was in good shape and if you are reasonably skilled at some electrical work it is highly probable you could retrofit a control to this. Easiest retrofit would be a simple plug in controller.

total wattage, peak achievable temperature and of course what cone you plan to fire to will likely be important as to whether you proceed.

The age of this thing probably demands a good electrical going through anyway IMO.

Thanks Bill, that is a great place to start. I have just emailed Yatai@Yatai.sh.cn      

Incidentally, one deterrent to taking the back off is that my kiln weighs far too much to lift without a garage crane. If I move house, the kiln may have to stay where it is!

• 6 months later...
On 9/2/2021 at 3:51 PM, oldlady said:

tinworm, before you fire it, hope  you will remove the wooden cabinet that is much too close to the kiln.  

Thanks for the advice, but we find that there is extremely little heat outside the kiln at full temperature. It is very well insulated

Archived