Gare Kiln Model 1818 Questions

Hello, 

I have some questions about a kiln that I bought recently. I believe that it is a Gare Kiln model 1818. It's definitely an older kiln. I had bought it as second hand but didn't get a ton of information. Note that I am brand new to pottery. I did some work a while back while taking a course but I'm wanting to try for myself. 

My questions are: 

- Is the 1818 a high fire or low fire? 

- What cone does it use up to? 

- How long are the fires? 

If you could give me some information that would be amazing! I have tried looking for a manual but have had no luck! 

Gare Kilns were taken over by Evenheat. User manuals for the old Gare kilns aren't among those published on the Evenheat website, but if you call them, they are helpful and can get the old manuals out of their archives for you. As for the capabilities of the kiln, some of that should be listed on the electrical rating plate that is attached to the side of the kiln or the control case. If you post a picture of that, we can see what it looks like.

dw

Have you fire one of those before? They work, you just have to make sure your pieces are totally dry when you bisque fire, because the kiln will heat up pretty quickly at the bottom since the elements will be full on when you flip the switches. Start with the lid cracked a couple of inches and turn on the bottom switch. After an hour turn on the next switch. After another hour close the lid. After another hour turn on the 3rd switch. After another hour turn on the top switch. You could speed up the last two switches to 1/2 hour if you wanted to.

This kiln is a good candidate for a wall mounted digital controller.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

@Mosquito If this kiln only has switches as the OP describes, any value that would be in this kiln is entirely dependant on the condition of the bricks. If there are no big cracks, especially in the lid or base, if the element channels are in good shape and there’s no glaze spills or chunks missing, you could sell this as a project kiln for maybe $50 on facebook marketplace or similar. Include any kiln furniture in that price. Advise any beginners looking for a mid fire/cone 6 kiln that this one likely won’t meet their needs, or will need to be completely gutted to do so.

You can try offering the plaster moulds, but if the buyer isn’t interested, just throw those out. They loose some absorbency or become uneven after a number of uses and have no resale value. 

Just because you mentioned doll making: If your mom used anything like gold lustre, even a partial bottle of that has value. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to ask a pro-rated cost of a new bottle. 

@Mosquito There's a very real chance you'll have a hard time finding someone who wants to buy the molds as a full batch. If you want to put in the effort, you could list them individually on eBay and you may find some buyers. People who are into it are often looking for specific molds. If they're commercially made molds, they should have a number on them. Otherwise, check around for local paint-you-own pottery shops that pour their own greenware and see if they're interested. If the molds are for doll parts they probably won't be, but if you have figurines and such they may.

Like Callie said, the value of the kiln depends entirely on the condition of the bricks. I say put it up for $200 and see what happens.