How to Frame Ceramic Tile?

I have some decorative tiles I would like to frame and hang on my walls but am trying to find the best way to frame them.   Has anyone done something similar before?

I'm thinking of using thin a thin acrylic square glued to the back of the tile which will then be glued to the matboard held in the frame.  My biggest unknown is currently how to secure the backing so it doesn't fall out.  Any tips??

Acrylic isn't the best material to use glue on. Plastic materials just don't hold well. How about using a shallow shadowbox frame without the glass and attach the tile to the frame backing, maybe paint the backing black first? Use silicone adhesive or the super strong double sided foam tape or something like that if you want to be able to remove it later.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a potter and a picture framer. You might have solved this already, but if not, framers use something called Framer's points that secure the contents of the frame. They are installed using a gun, or driver, like this one. They are about $20. Most framers would be more than happy to do this for you for a few dollars though, and it only takes a few minutes. They can also put the paper on the back and add hanging hardware.

point gun.jpg

Archived