Commercial liner glaze?

RRS

Hello,

I am relatively new to ceramics and just setting up a home studio. All experience thus far has been at studios with the studio's clay and glazes. In researching I am becoming a bit worried about which glazes to use on food contact surfaces. I don't plan to mix my own glazes right now and will be buying a few to try out. It seems as though the safest choice for food contact surfaces is a clear or white liner glaze. Any recommendations for commercial versions if these or other advice? Also any sources or suggestions for further education are much appreciated! Thank you!

If you search the forum for food safe glaze, etc… you will likely be able to read a bunch. I like this explanation from Mayco for its simplicity and relative completeness. A lot of safety has to do with durability, potentially harmful oxides etc… so it definitely deserves as much reading as you can take in. I suggest to start here for a general idea: https://www.maycocolors.com/resources/dinnerware-food-safety/

Then search the forum and of course google can be your friend. When you develop specific questions, post them here, lots of folks skilled and experienced in glaze chemistry.

Archived