Kiln advice please - manual kiln firing very fast

Hi there

I bought and old Cromartie CTL120 with kiln sitter control and three dials (each dial is numbered 1 - 6/max). I did a test bisque fire which seemed to go ok just rather fast a couple of weeks ago.

I have just done a second fuller cone 04 bisque:

1. Overnight candle with just the bottom element on at below 1.
  2. Turned all dials to 1 for 3.5 hrs
  3. Turned all dials to 3 for 3.5 hrs
  4. ... Kiln switched off at just over 7 hrs - I was about to turn to full.

Kiln is currently still hot, the bottom cone pack looks to have reached cone 05, for some reason I cant see the top cone pack through the peep hole. No peephole for middle cone pack.

So it seems likely that the kiln sitter worked correctly - I will update when I open the kiln tomorrow.

What can cause this?

• Charly changed the title to Kiln advice please - manual kiln firing very fast
4 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

7 hours for a bisque after an overnight candle isn’t unreasonable, especially for a 120L/4 cu ft kiln.   Mine’s a 7 cu ft, and does it in 10 with no candle, and I work with a red clay that needs the burn off. 

It sounds like there’s nothing wrong.

Thank you :)

That makes me more hopeful, but would it be normal to reach 04 on a medium dial setting?

The previous kiln I managed in Cambridge, UK had a digital controller, I still used cones for more info but had to just leave it to do it's thing. also, that was a front opening kiln with no working peephole so I didn't get chance to learn much about heat colour or see the cones go down.

Small kilns often have a lot of power for their size, so they can get to 04 on medium if it's on medium for a long enough time. Also, those switches are cycling the elements on and off to achieve the slow climb- they're not the same a 3 heat switch (low, med, hi) that is used on larger kilns. Like 3/4 being the middle of the dial isn't necessarily the same as medium on a 3-heat switch.

Archived