re firing

Hi everyone,

Ive just opened my kiln and one look at my pieces tells me the kiln didn't reach ^06, disaster!

Ive had problems before with this kiln and have just replaced an element that was broken, very pleased with myself after that

thinking I had the problem solved, but this has wiped the smile off my face!

So can anyone tell me can I refire the pieces to ^06 once I have the problem sorted?

One other question, The mortar I used to fix a crack in the lid bricks seems to be crumbling and Im worried its going to wreck the pieces.

I cant put another shelf over the work as there is no room and props arent tall enough.

Thankssad.gif

The mortar I used to fix a crack in the lid bricks seems to be crumbling and Im worried its going to wreck the pieces.

How wide is the crack in the lid? Did you fill the crack with kiln cement? Other than the crack, what is the condition of the lid?

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Hi thanks for replying,

The crack is more like the brick crumbled away at the edge of the brick and yes it was repaired with kiln cement.

But this is now crumbling as well as the brick. As regards the condition of the lid the insulation has fallen off so i have just placed it

on the wall the lid rests on as i dont know what to use to glue back on.

Im going to test all the elements, does anyone know how to do this??

Also Ive ordered a new brick but not confident enough to put in myself, Ill probably wreck it altogether

Does anyone know how long to leave the kiln cement before firing?

sorry for all the questions, Im determined to solve this once and for all.

regards Julia

The crack is more like the brick crumbled away at the edge of the brick and yes it was repaired with kiln cement.

But this is now crumbling as well as the brick. As regards the condition of the lid the insulation has fallen off so i have just placed it

on the wall the lid rests on as i dont know what to use to glue back on.

Kiln cement that has been pressed into a lid crack will fall out later, as you have discovered. I would remove the crumbling cement and fill the lid crack with a thin roll of ceramic fiber. Press the fiber into the crack with a pencil. The fiber will fill the crack and prevent brick particles from falling into the kiln.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

To test the elements, you can do a visual check by turning the kiln on High and seeing if all the elements glow. If not, you could have an element out, or it could be a bad connection or a relay (digital kilns only). To do a real check on the elements, you'll need to find out the resistance of the elements from the manufacturer, then test them each with on Ohm meter.

Mortar will not generally hold well on old bricks. If the crack is just cosmetic, stuff it with some fiber like Howard said, or even flip the lid over if it's structurally sound. If it's cracked all the way through, think about replacing it.

You can re-fire the pieces. Shouldn't be a problem.

Recheck the connections for the element you just replaced . . . they may not be tight enough or making enough contact which would affect the element heating to the correct temperature. -- Don't forget to turn off power and disconnect/unplug the kiln before checking the connections.

Thanks for the element advice.

What temperature would you suggest I fire to before checking?

I presume I just open the lid to check? Ive left the bungs in and replaced the ceramic fibre around the lid and the cracks.

This is an update since I fired to 500C then opened lid and it appears four elements on one side werent firing.

Does this mean they need to be replaced( supposedly they were all replaced about 5 months ago) or could it be

another reason? Ive now a back log of work waiting to go in and craft fairs to attend, help really appreciated.sad.gif

Could be a burned out element or just a bad connection with the wiring. Unplug the kiln, open the panel and see if the connections are tight. Also check the element for a break. Sometimes if a chunk of something gets on an element it can cause a hot spot that burns through. And sometimes they just fail for no apparent reason.

Archived