White matte glaze for speckled buff

demeter

Cone 6 matte glaze that I use a lot of is a blend of this dolomite matte one plus my clear. I find it does cutlery mark without a bit of clear mixed in with it. The Ferro frit 3249 is silly expensive, there is another version of the glaze here without it. I use the 3249 version as I find it melts better. For whatever glaze you use if you find the specks don't run enough decrease the clay content (usually epk) until they do. Take note that this might increase the chance of crazing but this glaze uses low expansion materials so it would probably be okay. Add zircopax or tin or a combination of both to make it white.

BTW in oxidation firings such as in an electric kiln the speckles will be from granular manganese dioxide not iron.

demeter, the photo shows plates that, to me, look very rough at the rims.  uncomfortable to handle and scratchy.   i used that kind of clay years ago and found it was not practical to sell something that might scratch a tabletop.  if you want to see what kind of damage, look at the glass coffee table in my living room.  long, deep scratches from speckled clay items on its top.

Archived