Kiln Transporting

MadMetal

So as posted before, we can get a good buy on L&L e23t thats been on the showroom floor. Asked the seller if they still had the packing as I will be transporting 60+ miles. I can run freeway or back roads and is not my first rodeo for transporting large fragile equipment (lathes, mills etc).

Seller does not have any of the packing and assume no forklift. What i have read is pallet base with a wood top, foam board the base, pack interior of the kiln with cardboard, frame build the pallet and again use foam board & bubble wrap. Foam board the lid. always lift and never slip the kiln.

Well, sounds like a pita, especially since its probably just me and 1/2 gals (no offense meant) at the retailer to load the kiln into pickup bed. I have concern about elements and thermocups bouncing and having a pooched unit before getting it home.

Thoughts or suggestions. I do like immediate gratification as opposed to waiting 3 mo from other distributors but sometimes..

If it's an unfired kiln it is really unlikely the elements would break during the move. It's simple to remove the tc's if you are worried about them breaking the weld at the tips.  Yeah, it is a pita moving kilns. If they don't have a forklift how are you getting it into the back of your truck? Ramp?

You need to take the kiln apart to move it. Put down a layer of foam board (house foam board works, the blue or pink stuff from the hardware store), put all 3 rings of the kiln on the foam board, then another layer of foam, then the floor slab, then another layer of foam, then the lid. Wrap the whole thing with plastic wrap. No need for cardboard inside the kiln. It won't do any good and may bang up the bricks. You could also do the lid and floor and one ring as a separate package if you don't like the height. Put a piece or two of masking tape across the elements so they don't flop out, but even if they do they shouldn't break. They're very springy  if they haven't been fired. Thermocouples will be fine, they survive freight shipping every day. Use a couple of straps alongside the kiln to keep it from sliding in the truck. Drive carefully and it'll be fine. I transport kilns in my SUV all the time. The e23T is small enough to move sections by yourself.

Archived