Once firing

Before I go ahead and once fire a piece, has anyone once fired before. Im under pressure to get an order out after having an exploding piece

.I know its probably viewed as a ceramics sin but prepared to give it a go. The glaze is to ^06. Thanks in advanceunsure.gif

good idea -- I suggest you read Dennis Parks -Potters Guide to Raw Glazing and Oil Firing.....pub.Charles Scribners's Sons

Oil firing may not be possible these days but single fire certainly is.

Before I go ahead and once fire a piece, has anyone once fired before. Im under pressure to get an order out after having an exploding piece

.I know its probably viewed as a ceramics sin but prepared to give it a go. The glaze is to ^06. Thanks in advanceunsure.gif

Look at Steven Hill. He is a little more current. He sprays his glazes on the raw pots. I could explain two techniques for you, but it sounds like you don't have time.

TJR.

Once fire is possible just be sure to fire slowly. The one problem I see is that the clay body may not mature at such a low firing and this in turn may affect your glaze fit. If you want to try it here are some tips I hope will be helpful: load the ware as you would for a glaze fire, do not let the ware touch each other nor the kiln furniture or kiln walls, be sure to kiln wash the shelves. Fire the kiln as you would for a bisque fire; propping, venting, expelling the gases and releasing any left over physical water. Be sure to fire the kiln to the maturing temperature of the glaze.

Archived