Inexpensive plaster scraping tool.

For anyone wanting to create a large piece of plaster, with a smooth surface , I offer this suggestion: a tool known as a "paint guide" is a wonderful tool for a potter.  (Essentially they're a scraper in a large format.)  I have two in my studio, one that is 12" wide and another that is 24" wide. They are cheap, under $10, and they are stainless steel. (So they don't rust.) They feature a stainless steel strip of metal set into a plastic handle. I use them to give my plaster molds a smooth surface on their topside. (Such that the mold doesn't wobble on the pouring table.) 

They would also come in handy if you're pouring a plaster wedging slab. Just run the tool across the surface of the setting plaster and you will have a nice smooth surface upon which to wedge your clay. 

It is also great for using to trim wallpaper,  hold the smoother against the ceiling tightly and cut along the edge with your sharp wallpaper knife.   I have never thought of using it with plaster or clay,  I think I have one in storage if not they are inexpensive.  Another great thing you will find in a wallpaper store is  a  plastic and mesh strainer, fits on a 5 gal bucket and cost a few dollars.  They make it for painters to pour paint  through when they are mixing  (booking) several gallons of paint together.   Works great for your first pour when you make 5 gallons of glaze.   You never would  have guessed I owned a wallpaper and paint store years ago.   Denice

Archived