Crystal & Non-Crystal Glazes

I have some crystal and non-crystal glazes (cone 5-6) and I'm wondering if pieces that use non-crystal glaze can be fired in the load with the crystal glazes.

My confusion lies in the fact that the crystal glazes usually have a hold time at the end of the firing cycle while the non-crystal glazes don't. Then, some crystal glazes have a slight cool-down and then a hold.

Would this adversely affect the non-crystal glazes? Or can they be fired with the crystal glazed pieces?

Crystalline glazes are fired alone as the firing cycle is lots of hold time as they grow and the glaze runs off the pots into trays that you grind off. Regular glazes will not work well under these conditions.

The whole kiln is a crystalline load.

Mark

Thanks for the responses.

The glazes are the type that have the complicated firing schedule so that the crystals are formed during the hold-cooling process. And, I kinda thought that might be detrimental to regular glazes. SO ... crystalline glazes only in the load.

Next is firing schedule. I'm using a Skutt KS-818 with an add-on electronic controller. The kilnsitter has to have a cone in it; so, I generally load a cone 7 and then fire to cone 5 before beginning the first hold. But, somehow, the kiln gets hotter and hotter until the cone melts, shutting off the kiln. I don't get that cooldown-hold part of the programming before the kiln errors out. I'm getting a few crystals but think there would be more if I can get the programming figured out.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Archived