Pros and Cons of Using Laundry Sink for Clay

I am going to be setting up a studio in our basement and my husband suggested that I use the double laundry sink as the sink for my work. He says  that the washing machine doesn't drain directly into this sink. I thought I read somewhere that this can be a problem. In another house I owned, the laundry would sometimes backup into the laundry sinks in the basement even though it didn't directly spill into this sink. I am also concerned about having clean clothes in the vicinity of a dirty clay sink. Whatever I do, I plan to have a clay trap. I would appreciate any advice others might have about whether using the laundry sink like this will work.

Clay trap yes, yes, yes ! Washing machine unless you save suds which was an old way to reuse the soapy water your washing machine uses fresh water at each cycle so I think he is right about that. Now clay is messy so having / washing clothes nearby would risk getting on the clothes. I think if you were diligent and neat about it you could make it work for you.

Definitely get a really good trap  and or wash up in a bucket, let it settle and pour off the clear liquid. Often Sinks indirectly back up first because they are low enough and the clog is downstream of them. They are simply the first lowest fixture between the clog and the rest of the system.

For the past 17 years my studio has used a double laundry tub as the main sink, with a washer that drains into it. No issues ever. I have a Gleco trap on the sink, which does a great job of trapping clay. It is not the cleanest area of the studio, though, so maybe not great for having clean clothes nearby. But I have 40 people using it. With just you using it, it may not be an issue at all.

I have a basement studio and use the laundry sink right next to the laundry machines. I don’t have a clay trap but I use buckets diligently, meaning everything gets washed in a bucket first, and only get washed in the sink when they are almost clean already. One bucket for clay-only washing (same as my throwing water bucket) and another bucket for glaze (+everything else) washing. 

Since most of my washing takes place elsewhere in the studio, the sink area does not get very dirty, and I’ve never had a problem with contaminating my laundry. 

My water source is our laundry area as well... basement studio, i just didnt want to wait longer for since we're housing our two stranded college kids.

We have a Gleco trap, but we pre-rinse in buckets before we get to the sink. My old beatup handtowels are rinsed in yard with pressure garden hose. same with changing out throwing slop buckets (outside hose).

We get clean laundry upstairs as loads are done, and I just keep the dirty hampers out of my splash zones by my wheel. no problems as long as we do constant housekeeping (mopping floor by wheel to eliminate clay dust, keeping wheel clean, vacuuming kiln / kiln room regularly, etc)

Archived