Firing new kiln shelves before batt washing / paper clay advice

Emma Law

Hi folks!

I'm new to firing my own kiln pottery but am keen to have a go at raku and wood firing - I'm using different clay bodies and especially interested in using paper clay.

I've recently bought some round kiln shelves for a gas raku kiln, I also bought some batt wash 

I read that it is advisable to fire new kiln shelves before painting with batt wash but I cannot find at what temperature

My tutor at college said she doesn't know as she never uses batt wash in her home kiln! - However, I am going to be experimenting with using various additions to local salty clay so,  I think it wise to protect the shelves 

Does anyone have advice regarding this/ Perhaps I just need to fire them for a short while to ensure they are thoroughly dry

With cordierite or high alumina type shelves there's no need to pre-fire them. Someone else will have to chime in on silicon carbide shelves, because I haven't purchased any in a really long time. That said, the last batch of silicon carbide shelves I bought 20 years ago did need to be fired once, or they would leave black stuff on the bottom of the pots.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:00 PM, Emma Law said:

various additions to local salty clay so,  I think it wise to protect the shelves

Hi @Emma Law. Welcome from sunny Langdon Hills, about 60 miles north of you.

Depending on flatness/size of work, you can also fire on cookies/waster slabs to protect your shelves.

Archived