Ready to glaze, but I don't know how long I have to wait after glazing to fire. Help?

Catatonic

I have loads of bisqueware to glaze, and I'm wondering how long I have to wait after applying glaze to fire them? Is there a difference when I use a shino glaze as opposed to a celadon or an Amaco Potter's Choice glaze?  I have a couple of pieces I need to have ready by Friday (two days away) that need a shino, so I'm hoping I have time to glaze and fire by Thursday.

Bisque fired and glazed pieces can go into the kiln still damp from glazing, just go slow for the first 200F degrees to dry them out before ramping up. If it's a manual kiln, give them an hour or two with the bottom on low and the lid propped. If it's a digital kiln,  80F/hr to 200F, or do a preheat of 1 minute, as it will take about 2 hours to get to 200F before the preheat time kicks in, which is plenty of time to dry them out.

Letting shinos sit for a day or two can (but doesn’t always have to) apply to true cone 10 shinos, not the cone 6 commercial ones. They’re not the same kind of glaze, despite the name. 

The cone ten ones you’re waiting for soda ash to migrate to the surface of the glaze coating, and it doesn’t have anything to do with water content. And even then, it’s not necessary with all recipes.

Archived